If you have been to Thailand and eaten Thai-style mango ice cream, or you live here and eat it often, you already know how delicious it is. The problem for vegans, however, is that mango ice cream in Thailand is often made with yoghurt or milk, making it something a vegan cannot eat.
Recently, however, I discovered an excellent video from one of my favorite Thai chefs, Pailin “Pai” Chongchitnant, in which she makes mango ice cream. I adapted it to my now-vegan diet, and came up with a vegan Thai-style mango ice cream based on her recipe that is absolutely delicious. And it only requires four ingredients, so it is cheap to make as well.
How to make vegan Thai-style mango ice cream in a blender
120 ml of plain soy yoghurt
60 ml maple syrup or brown rice syrup
1-3 tsps of lime juice
300 mg of mango — usually 2 large mangoes, and you can use frozen if you cannot find fresh
- Cut the flesh of the two mangoes into cubes and freeze it.
- Scoop the soy yoghurt into the blender.
- Add the maple syrup or brown rice syrup, and the lime juice.
- Add the frozen mango cubes.
- Blend quickly using the pulse mechanism, pushing the frozen mango into the bottom of the blender so it all gets blended. Do not blend to a smooth pudding consistency, however, but instead leave some small mango pieces in the now-formed mango ice cream.
- You now have two options for serving this vegan Thai-style mango ice cream.
- Either serve immediately as a soft-serve vegan mango ice cream, as it is still cold enough to enjoy.
- Or pour the mango cream into a pre-chilled metal tray and place in your freezer for about an hour. This will set the ice cream, and cause it to be thicker. I have eaten it both ways and enjoyed them both.
Of course, if you are not vegan, you can make Pailin’s original Thai-style mango ice cream recipe, and just use the milk and the honey like she does in the video below.
Either way, enjoy!
And, if you like Pailin’s recipe, she has many more delicious Thai recipes in her excellent book Hot Thai Kitchen: Demystifying Thai Cuisine With Authentic Recipes To Make At Home.